mobile navigation
scheduleSCHEDULE
close buttonClose Menu
close buttonClose Menu
winstar specials

CALL
NOW!

410-360-0058
close buttonClose Menu

SCHEDULE SERVICE

Top 4 Electrical Dangers In Your Household

by B.Annie on August 20, 2018

Electrical dangers may be lurking behind your walls.  Having an safety inspection by a certified electrician may save your home and your life. Electrical fires, shocks and electrocutions are a real risk with a faulty system left unchecked. With professional help, you could get your home up to safety standards and leave the electrical nightmare behind. Get to know these top 4 dangers that could be hiding in your own home:

The Electrical Dangers of Outlet Positioning 

Water and Outlets are a Dangerous Match:

 

Trust a professional to install your outlets and GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter).  A certified electrician will know to keep any outlet at least three feet from bathtubs and showers. Outlets should also never be installed over a sink basin, only to the sides of them.

A GFCI is an important installation for any outlet that will be near a water source. It will immediately cut off power if it detects someone has received a shock. Protected outlets are an effective way to minimize the risk of electric shock or electrocution.

*If appliances get wet, do not immediately unplug them. Head directly to your homes electrical panel and cut off the power to of the outlets source. Then you may unplug your device safely.

 

Fixtures and Appliances 

 

Understanding Your Electricity:

 

A leading cause of electrical accidents is the misuse of lamps and light fixtures. Using mismatched wattage, such as a 100-watt bulb in a 60-watt fixture, can melt the fixture wires, causing a fire and shock hazard.

It is never safe to use faulty appliances. They are a fire hazard and could cause personal injury. If a device begins to malfunction while in use, go to the main electrical panel in your home and cut off the power to where the appliance is plugged in.

*Incandescent light bulbs are a safety hazard – The currents running through the coils inside the bulb generate extreme amounts of heat, which are then transferred to the glass. If it burns out, do not try to immediately touch it! The glass used is thin in order to let the light shine through. It is fragile, and prone to breaking, producing small shards, dangerous to exposed skin. If the bulb happens to break inside the fixture, it becomes difficult and dangerous to remove.

 

Worn Out and Faulty Wiring 

 

The Danger Behind Your Walls:

 

Fixed wiring is the second leading cause of electrical-related house fires according to the National Fire Prevention Association. If your home’s wiring system is older than 30 years, consider inspecting it annually. A certified electrician such as Winstar   can check the condition of your wires every few years.

Chewed, frayed and old electrical wiring are present electrical dangers that can be avoided. Since most of your system is behind the scenes, it is best to get professionals involved to inspect and correct any problems.

*Exposed Wires- Sometimes wires escape the confines of the walls because of improper installation. A plug, outlet or electric cord should not have exposed wiring. Exposed wires present a danger of electric shock or electrocution. They are especially a danger if children or animals are present and should be professionally handled immediately.

 

Cords and Plugs:

 

According to the National Fire Protection Association, electrical cords and plugs are responsible for the most civilian deaths related to electrical accidents each year. It is easy to detect dangerous plugs. Never use cord or plug with evidence of burning, melting or other visible damage.

Extension cords are the worst offenders, being a leading cause of electrical fires each year. Extension cord are not meant to be permanent sources of power nor are they meant to provide more power than stated. Plugging an extension cord into an extension cord is a dangerous risk, which will not pay off.

*Overloading Power Strips and Outlets – Power strips are designed to handle a certain amount of electricity. Plugging several high voltage devices into a power strip can overload the strip outlet, potentially causing an electrical fire.

Like extension cords, it is a fire hazard to plug adapters into the power strip in order to increase the number of appliances it can accommodate.

Electrical dangers can be prevented by an electrical safety inspection.  Call our certified electricians today. Check for damage and wear on all wires, cords and outlets periodically. For everything on the other side of your walls, leave it to the professionals. Don’t wait until it is too late!