Winstar Home Services Helps Homeowners Fight Allergy Season
Baltimore based HVAC home service company has tips for how to keep allergies at bay as spring approaches
BALTIMORE March 23, 2017 – Winstar Home Services, Baltimore’s premier provider of residential HVAC, plumbing and electrical services, has tips for residents on how to keep their indoor air quality at its best during allergy season this spring.
“If you or any of your family members suffer from hay fever or allergic asthma, your home should be a safe place to get away from allergy triggers,” said Talbot Watkins III, president of Winstar Home Services. “Spring is just around the corner, and now is the best time to address your indoor air quality to stay one step ahead of the coming allergy season.”
Watkins offers several quick and easy tips to help homeowners prepare and upgrade their HVAC systems to handle allergens:
- Keep a healthy level of humidity:
- Dust mites and mold love moisture. Keeping humidity around 30 to 50 percent helps keep them and other allergens under control.
- Use an exhaust fan when cooking, running the dishwasher, or bathing.
- Empty catch pans in your dehumidifier.
- Dust and vacuum frequently:
- Avoid using a dry cloth or feather duster, as they tend to push allergens back into the air. Instead, clean hard surfaces, floors and window shades/blinds weekly with treated dust rags, damp mops or damp rags.
- Hardwood, tile and linoleum are ideal for chronic allergy sufferers, but if a home has carpet, be sure to vacuum carpeted areas weekly. Vacuum and wash rugs regularly as well.
- Ensure proper ventilation:
- To combat indoor allergies such as mold, dust and animal hair, open your windows and doors and turn on any fans to help blow away allergens.
- If outdoor allergies are a problem, close windows and rely on air conditioning or use pollen proof screens to combat pollen that might come through open windows.
- Change air filters frequently to ensure that your HVAC system efficiently removes contaminates from your indoor air.
- The highest quality filters, called HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters, can remove almost all particulates and contaminants.
- Install an air purification system.
- Update and/or cover your bedding:
- Use anti-allergy pillow, mattress and box spring covers on all bedding.
- If you have wool or feather bedding, consider replacing with synthetic materials.
Watkins also advised homeowners to invest in HVAC system maintenance at this time to improve indoor air quality before allergy season is in full swing.
“Your heating and cooling systems are the most important source of indoor air quality control,” Watkins says. “A well maintained system is your first line of defense against allergies and will work more efficiently at keeping your home’s air quality all throughout the allergy season.”
To learn more about what you can do to help protect your home this allergy season, visit www.callwinstar.com or contact Winstar Home Services at 410-360-0058.
About Winstar Home Services
Located in Baltimore, Maryland, Winstar Home Services began in 2001 with one man and a van. Talbot Watkins set his goal on becoming a major player in electrical contracting for Anne Arundel County, Maryland. By the end of the year he had two vans and three employees to meet the growing demand for his services. Winstar emphasizes customer service, and within just 15 years, has expanded into a large and smoothly run company with over 100 employees. Visit Winstar on the web at http://callwinstar.com/, or call them at 410-360-0058.
Winstar Home Services is also an authorized Bath Planet remodeler. For more information about their bathroom remodeling services, visit http://www.bathplanet.com/dealers/baltimore-md/.